All. The. Coffee.



Last week was a doozy. This week was a doozy too. Currently, coming at you from my bed, snuggling next to Lydia. 


Poor Unicorn Girl has had a hell of a time adjusting to her new immunotherapy drug (at least that is what Matt and I agree is the struggle). Around 8-10 days post-infusion, we're noticing Lydia experiencing gastrointestinal symptoms. And in hindsight, we now kinda recognize that her hospitalization two weeks ago (as documented in the above pic) was probably the onset of these side-effects. 

The good news is that we have some rad drugs to help minimize her nausea and she's pretty much her JoJo Siwa, Barbie, Unicorn-loving self (this week's trending topics per our Youtube search history), just dialed back a bit. And after about 2-3 days of laying low, she bounces back at 110%. We're doing our best, praying A LOT, to learn from all this so we can best anticipate when the side-effects will hit and be prepared. 

In full-disclosure, it's been a humbling ride realizing that I cannot control this. I, her mama and the poster-child for type-A personalities, desire to advocate 'till I can't no more and to ensure we're turning over every possible stone . . . but the pressure of all that has left me feeling more inadequate, and frankly kinda depressed. 

Consider it divine intervention then coming across this podcast. I listened to it while I was driving to pick up my latest FB Marketplace find. In those 50 minutes, God revealed to me a crucial truth: He wouldn't require anything of me that He himself hasn't gone through. 

Most parents will agree - feeling helpless while your child is ill or injured is the literal WORST, and caring for Lydia in this season is not getting easier; however, the gentle reminder of God's truths is just enough of a boost to make it through the day. That and coffee. All. the. coffee. 



P.S. We're loving using our IG stories to document our day-to-day antics and adventures. Follow along here to keep up with the Orcutts.

Comments